Whanaungatanga is at the heart of our school. We give, connect, take notice, learn, and remain active in our communities.
Huanui College students are required to complete several community services projects throughout the year. We believe in the idea of volunteering being good for the school and wider community, but also good for our well-being.
- We encourage the students to provide a service that will benefit non-profit organisations and projects
- Services provided by Huanui students may be focused and continual work with one organisation, or a variety of services with different groups throughout the course of the year
- Huanui College identifies its future leaders amongst those who work well with others, particularly those who show and model confidence dealing with co-workers/ clients / customers, and working in a team setting
- Volunteering whilst at Huanui College will provide students with a variety of skills and a ‘work ready’ mindset (e.g., problem solving, perseverance, leadership, communication, self-motivation, and interpersonal skills)
Regular Whānau Service
Huanui College encourages our students to give, connect, take notice, learn, and be active citizens in our communities. Each term the students and staff participate in Whānau Community Services Afternoon, which is an afternoon is dedicated to doing ‘good’ for others, for no personal rewards or gratitude.
Some examples include:
- Gardening at our local Marae and Primary School
- Companionship at The Falls Lifestyle Village
- Musical performances and creation of an art mural for Alzheimer’s Northland
- A food-drive for a local non-profit organisation
- Helping at our local charity shops
- Working with I Have a Dream in Tikipunga
- Rubbish clean-up around the Town Basin in central Whangārei