Newsletters | Keeping everyone well informed
Our monthly newsletter, HC News, has matured from humble roots into a beautiful and reliably informative missive with a large and loyal readership. Many businesses and voluntary organisations have discovered the organic benefits and referred credibility of advertising in HC News. Subscribe to Huanui College News today using the form on this page!
Newsletter content submission
- Text can be submitted as Word, PDF or Plain Text files and must be proofed and ready to simply copy and paste.
- Images can be submitted as JPG, JPEG, PNG or GIF files and must have a minimum long edge dimension of 600 pixels.
- Advertisements should be carefully designed to be visually effective within the 600px wide newsletter column width.
- For advertising tariffs and editorial guidelines, please contact us.
Below is a browsable archive of recent HC News issues (latest is first) please be patient as they may take a moment or two to load from Mailchimp's servers.
ATTENTION PARENTS, CAREGIVERS, GRANDPARENTS, HC SUPPORTERS - WE NEED YOU! Come and join our Friends & Family meeting next Tuesday, 26 March at the Northland Club, Porowini Ave – 7 pm. If you are unable to make it but would like to offer your services please email email@example.com. See you there!
UPCOMING ROADWORKS – be prepared for traffic delays from Monday 18 March – Friday 3 May as scheduled work is being done on Ngunguru Road between Pehiaweri Marae & Glenbervie School.
IMPORTING UPCOMING DATES
- 25 March – Year 7 & 8 beach trip
- 26 March – Friends & Family meeting 7 pm – Northland Club, Porowini Ave (All welcome)
- 2 April – Parent/Student/Teacher interviews 3.30 pm – 7.30 pm (A – K surnames)
- 3 April – Victoria University visit – 11.30 am
- 4 April – Parent/Student/Teacher interviews 3.30 pm – 7.30 pm (L - Z surnames)
- 8 April - Waikato Uni visiting school @ 1.30 pm
- 9 April – Whangaparaoa College sports exchange
- 12 April – Book Character dress up day ($ donation to our library + bake sale that day also)
Information relating to any of the sports events noted above are in a separate SPORTS BULLETIN email sent home separately.
- REQUEST FROM AG & HORT DEPARTMENT – we are currently needing any type of seeds, seedlings, plants, bulbs, and trees (especially fruit trees). Also, if you have weedmat, cement, or fertiliser, these would be much appreciated. If you are able to donate any of these please contact Julie on 021 170 2155
- FITNESS TRAINING - every Monday - at Huanui College Gym from 3.30 pm – 4.30 pm. This is being run by one of our favourite teachers and is open to ALL Huanui students (will run indefinitely). If you are planning to play netball, football, hockey, basketball, or another sport this winter then this is the perfect pre-season training for YOU! Please ensure they bring a water bottle, snacks, PE kit/sports training gear, and sports shoes. Please arrange for your child to be collected from school before 5 pm.
- HC SPORTS HOODIE - Want to order a Huanui College Sports Hoodie? Scarf or umbrella? Follow the link to order: http://bit.ly/HChoodie2019. Orders required by Friday 22 March.
- RELAY FOR LIFE – ENTRIES ARE NOW CLOSED FOR THIS EVENT. Once again, we have students from our school supporting this great cause on 30 & 31 March. Support our school team LAUGHING STOCK (Merged team with HUANUI COLLEGE) at https://registration.everydayhero.com/ps/event/RelayForLifeNorthland2019/ please donate to this great cause.
- HUANUI HOLIDAY PROGRAMME – One week only! 15 – 18 April. For more information go to http://bit.ly/holprogapril2019
- SUPPORT OUR READING ROOM DURING BOOK CHARACTER WEEK – As part of our Book Character Week celebrations we are offering parents and caregivers the opportunity to sponsor books for our reading room. During the week of 8-12 April, we will have an assortment of newly published and popular texts on display in the reception lobby. This is a carefully selected collection of books that we would love to add to our collection. Simply pop into the lobby when you are at school that week and peruse the display - if you see a book that you would like to donate to our school, simply fill in the sponsorship card, tuck it in the book and you will be invoiced. A certificate of thanks will be presented in the front of your selected text. We have developed a partnership with Paper Plus Whangarei who have supplied us with the books. For every book from the assortment sponsored; they will give us back 20% of the purchase price to buy more books. Win, win for all!
- HC BOOK CHARACTER WEEK 8-12 APRIL - Yes we are running this wonderful event again during the last week of term. During the week there will be a new books display, books to sponsor table, quizzes, our annual Where’s Wally treasure hunt, book character cake competition and a visiting author. The Friday is the parade day where we all come to school dressed in the costume of a book character – lots of prizes up for grabs! We will also have a bake sale to help raise funds for our new library shelf – the collection is growing so fast we are out of shelf space! Parents and family are all invited.
- OTAGO UNIVERSITY OPEN DAY – 5 – 6 May 2019 – Dunedin. Information has been emailed home to all Y13 families. Please contact Donna Newman if you would like a copy.
- VICTORIA UNIVERSITY VISIT - Victoria University of Wellington will be visiting Huanui College on Wednesday, 3 April at 11:30am. During their visit, they will provide information about: Wellington and Victoria as a study destination; Degrees and subjects offered at Victoria University; Admission requirements and enrolment information; and Accommodation, scholarships and student services.The Victoria University Information Evening in Northland is: Thursday, 30 May at Toll Stadium, Whangarei.
- TAI TOKERAU EMERGENCY HOUSING CHARITABLE TRUST - The Rotary Interact club is having a donation box in H8 to collect old household items (eg. Tea Towels, kitchen items and bedding) for Tai Tokerau Emergency Housing Charitable Trust. These items will be given to families in need so any donations are greatly appreciated!! Thank you.
- PREP (AFTER SCHOOL) – these are held every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 3.30 pm – 5pm at Huanui College. Any children who remain at school after 3.30 pm will be directed to the prep class and must be collected by 5 pm. Prep classes are open to all year groups. There is no prep on a Monday and Friday - all students must be collected or catch a bus from the college by 3.30 pm on these days.
- TUTORIALS – are held after school on a Monday, Wednesday or Thursday 3.30 – 4.30 pm plus at varied lunchtimes. Some tutorials are year group specific so please look at our subject tutorial schedule for Term 1 via the link https://huanuicollege.school.nz/curriculum/resources-for-students-and-parents
- SCHOOL LUNCH ORDERS: Monday – Hell Pizza – please order and pay at the school office (cash only $6 standard, $7 gluten free), Wednesday – Lunchonline – orders can be placed in advance by visiting www.lunchonline.co.nz
- TE TAI TOKERAU TALL SHIP CHALLENGE - Thursday 9 May – Wednesday 15 May 2019 - The R.Tucker Thompson Tai Tokerau Tall Ship Challenge, sponsored by Northpower and Top Energy, is a competition voyage to find out which school team can demonstrate they have what it takes in terms of leadership, initiative and of course teamwork. Challenges set during the 7-day voyage will be based on a range of activities such as sailing, physical activity, standard of daily drills and duties, swimming as well as positive interactions between others. Applicants must: Complete the application form below and submit a video designed and produced by the students entitled “Safety at Sea”. Note: Applicants need to be 13-17 years old and New Zealand, Northland residents. Registration forms and poster must be received before Monday 1st April 2019 https://tucker.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Te-Tai-Tokerau-Tall-Ship-Challenge-2019.pdf
- MAUNGA MAYHEM OBSTACLE ADVENTURE RACE - 30th March – check out the website www.maungamayhem.co.nz for more details and tickets – you won’t want to miss the Mayhem!! This is a fundraising event for Maungatapere School.
- CHILLOUT HOLIDAY PROGRAMME –Whangarei Aquatic Centre www.chilloutkids.co.nz
Our Huanui College collegiate netball and hockey teams have now been selected and emails have been sent home to families. Congratulations to all our students.
IMPORTING UPCOMING DATES
- 1 April – AIMS games hockey trial 12 – 1 pm @ Northland Hockey Turf
- 3 April – NSSSA Tennis singles (Y9 – 13)
- 3 April – Year 7 swimming lesson
- 6 April – Netball collegiate/intermediate grading games begin
- 9 April – Whangaparaoa sports exchange @ HC
- 10 April – Year 7 swimming lesson
If your child is interested in any of these events please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- AIMS GAMES HOCKEY TRIAL – we invite any year 7 or 8 students that would like to be considered for the Huanui AIMS Hockey team to a trial to be held on Monday 1 April - 12 pm – 1 pm at Northland Hockey Turf. Students need to bring their hockey gear to school and we will transport students to and from school in the school van. Please register your child by email to email@example.com (please note: Futsal trial will be held early in Term 2)
- HUANUI JNR HOCKEY ACADEMY – this will be held every Wednesday at lunchtime from 8 May for 8 weeks and is open to any year 7 & 8 students. We will transport students to and from school. Please register http://bit.ly/hcjnrhockeyacademy2019
- REMINDER: HC FITNESS TRAINING will continue every Monday until further notice - at Huanui College Gym from 3.30 pm – 4.30 pm. This is being run by one of our favourite teachers and is open to ALL Huanui students. If you are planning to play netball, football, hockey, basketball, or another sport this winter then this is the perfect pre-season training for YOU! Please ensure they bring a water bottle, snacks, PE kit/sports training gear, and sports shoes. Please arrange for your child to be collected from school before 5 pm.
- YEAR 7 SWIMMING – Our Year 7 students have begun swimming. This is compulsory and free of charge – all students are transported to the Whangarei Aquatic Centre via bus.
- WHANGAPARAOA COLLEGE SPORTS EXCHANGE – this year we will be hosting these games at HC (Hockey at Northland Hockey turf). Basketball, football, netball, hockey, and debating are on offer and all our students will have the opportunity to support. Sausage sizzle available on the day.
- NETBALL UMPIRE COURSES 2019 - Whether you want to become an umpire, have confidence when umpiring for your club/team or just learn the rules to be a better player/coach/manager, then come along to one of the WNC courses. http://www.whangareinetball.co.nz/Umpiring/Development-1
Want to order a Huanui College Sports Hoodie? Scarf or umbrella? Follow the link to order: http://bit.ly/HChoodie2019. We have stretched out the deadline which will now be early in term 2 once AIMS games Futsal and Hockey teams have been announced.
Events coming up in early term 2:
- Wednesday 8 May - Mid-week football starts Y9-13
- Wednesday 8 May - Clay Target event #2
- Thursday 9 May – Turbo touch mixed Y9-13
- Friday 10 May – Orienteering – Kerikeri
- Wednesday 15 May – HC Jnr Hockey Academy begins – lunchtimes x 8 weeks
- Wednesday 22 May – WPSSA Winter sports day – all Y 7 & 8 students
Join our closed Facebook pages for Huanui Netball, Basketball, Hockey, and Clay Target Shooting (more pages will be set up throughout the year if required). These pages hold vital information and our one of our main communication avenues so please endeavour to join if your child is involved with any particular sport at the school. Key the below name into the Facebook search:
- HUANUI COLLEGE CLAY TARGET SHOOTING
- HUANUI COLLEGE NETBALL
- HUANUI COLLEGE BASKETBALL
- HUANUI COLLEGE HOCKEY